Creating a New Future Through Community Schools
Faith for Change connects communities of faith across the country with non-religious organizations using the community schools strategy to make sure children are prepared to learn before they enter school and are improving in the classroom.
Our work through the “New Future Initiative” relies on the plentiful existing research that looks at results oriented strategies to improving student performance. We use the Coalitions for Community Schools Strategy to implement these recommendations through our work with houses of worship.
Quantifying Our Work
- We organize houses of worship to work strategically in collaboration with other organizations that are providing services to improve the academic performance of students. This helps us avoid duplicating services and focus the work done by people of faith in areas where it is needed most.
- We communicate regularly with communities of faith to gather data on their work, assess outcomes and areas where more supported is needed to improve:
- Student academic performance
- Increased parental involvement
- Expanded wraparound services so that children are prepared before they enter the classroom
Guiding Principles for Community Schools
- Foster strong partnerships: partners share their resources and expertise and work together to design community schools and make them work.
- Share accountability for results: clear, mutually agreed-upon results drive the work of community schools. Data helps partners measure progress toward results.
- Set high expectations for all: community schools are organized to support learning. Children, youth, and adults are expected to learn at high standards and to be contributing members of their community.
- Build on the community’s strengths: community schools marshal the assets of the entire community—including the people who live and work there, local organizations, and the school.
- Embrace diversity: community schools know their communities. They work to develop respect and a strong, positive identity for people of diverse backgrounds and are committed to the welfare of the whole community.
For more information on community schools please visit our fiscal sponsor the institute for educational leadership (www.iel.org)
Student With A Goal
Verbum Dei High all boy school in Watts - 100% Graduation 100% College Acceptance 5 years in a row. That's SWAG!
Blueprint for Success
Helping kids dream again and find their purpose through writing life strategic plans.